10 Things You May Not Know About My Fitness Journey {Thus Far}

1. I started to get more serious about my health and fitness four years ago. At the time I weighed 275, but I’ve weighed as much as 289. The last time I stepped on the scale a few weeks ago I weighed 251. Down, but still working on it!

(left) May 2009; (right) November 2014

(left) May 2009; (right) November 2014

2. While my weight was and is a catalyst for me to become healthier, it was my doctor uttering the words “pre-diabetes” that really lit a fire under my ass. My most recent tests, taken last month, showed that my sugar levels are now in the healthy range!

3. I take Metformin every day to help with a condition called insulin resistance. I only recently started taking it again after being off it for a couple of years. I believe it helps a little with my weight loss; when I don’t eat well or exercise regularly, I don’t lose weight though. Metformin is not a magic diet pill (nor do I want it to be!).

4. My first race was in March 2010. I ran the entire 5k without stopping to walk, and I felt so proud, I cried at the finish line! Since then I have run countless 5ks, two 10ks and two half marathons. I would like to run another half one day!

The Rumpshaker 5k with my good friend Summer, who got me started running!

The Rumpshaker 5k with my good friend Summer, who got me started running!

5. I have a lot of problems with my feet. I broke my left leg four times between the ages of 2 and 13, so sometimes my left ankle gets sore. I also have plantar fasciitis in my left foot, my knees often ache, and I occasionally get shin splints. But I try to take care of these symptoms with ice, braces, Advil and rest when needed.

6. I believe in an 80/20 diet — I try to eat healthfully 80 percent of the time and allow myself treats 20 percent. If I don’t allow myself a treat once in a while, I know I will overeat and really fall off the wagon. Sometimes the urge to binge eat is hard to fight off, but I do my best!

7. I feel better and lose weight more consistently when I eat more real, whole foods with a concentration on fruits, veg and protein, as opposed to processed snacks or meals. I believe this is because real foods help me feel fuller longer, and I automatically consume less sodium, bad fats and carbs.

8. Exercising as often as I can makes me feel healthier, and therefore I want to eat better. Although for some it works to concentrate on one area at a time, for me they both go hand-in-hand.

9. Although I have an approximate “goal weight” that bounces around in my head, I don’t focus on that as my overall health goal. I was down to about 225 in 2011, and I would like to get back there. But feeling good about myself, inside and out, is more important to me than a number on a scale.

10. My definition of “health” and “fitness” and “beauty” may not mirror what the experts, society or doctors say, but it has evolved and will continue to evolve as I find new ways to challenge myself and learn to love myself more. Feeling comfortable in my own skin is my ultimate goal, however that looks for me!

photo 2 (44)

12 Comments on 10 Things You May Not Know About My Fitness Journey {Thus Far}

1. deborahcrocker
    December 2, 2014 at 8:05 am (2 years ago)

I think you are doing well. You go girl

2. lizzyisdizzy
    December 2, 2014 at 8:55 am (2 years ago)

You Rock, girl! Thanks for sharing about your journey!

3. Nadine
    December 2, 2014 at 10:48 am (2 years ago)

Thanks for sharing your journey!! I love reading posts like these from real people who share little bits of information that I can relate to 🙂 Get it!!!

4. redhotwritinghood
    December 2, 2014 at 12:30 pm (2 years ago)

You are doing amazing. I think you are taking such a realistic approach by allowing yourself room to treat yourself. The quickest way to kill it is by denying yourself things. Can’t wait to follow along with your journey. I am on the same one myself!

• stellarfashionandfitness
      December 3, 2014 at 12:50 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you! We CAN do this! I am getting back into the groove after Thanksgiving and hoping lots of exercise will help me maintain, or even lose, over the holidays!

5. spiffyeats
    December 2, 2014 at 12:43 pm (2 years ago)

thank you for sharing so openly! Insulin resistance is one of the main reasons many people choose a clean eating diet. I’m so glad to hear that your body responds well to whole foods. You have also inspired me to get back into running again. I plan to start back while keeping track for #25stellarmiles. Keep up the awesome writing!

• stellarfashionandfitness
      December 3, 2014 at 12:51 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you! And you inspire me to eat more clean! I really do feel better when I eat healthier, so I have to keep that good feeling in mind when I’m tempted by too many treats. And I’m so glad you’re joining up for #25stellarmiles! I need to kick it into gear this week!

6. Summah
    December 3, 2014 at 2:43 pm (2 years ago)

Loved completing your first 5k with you! That sign is also one of my proudest moments, too haha 🙂

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on 10 Things You May Not Know About My Fitness Journey {Thus Far}

1. […] No. 9: A review of where my fitness journey has taken me over the past few years. 10 Things You May Not Know About My Fitness Journey {Thus Far} […]