Last Tuesday night I had the privilege to speak to an awesome group of women — the Birmingham Girls Club — about this spring’s trends and the wardrobe basics every women should have. It was a blast! All the ladies were full of questions and eager to encourage one another to try something new — and have the confidence to do so!
I left our evening, which also included a clothing swap and donation drive for YWCA’s My Sister’s Closet, feeling proud and excited to dive into my own closet and see what spring trends I might already have on hand.
Luckily this year’s trends come with a lot of broad interpretation, in my opinion. For example, white is huge, including head-to-toe white, so it’s likely you can create a look around this without even having to go shopping.
Here’s a look at the spring trends I presented to the group on Tuesday:
• Florals—obvious, right? Wear with stripes, polka dots and other prints for a modern look.
• Culottes—great for chilly offices, best worn with heels
• Crisp white—all white everything! White shirts, dresses, skirts, culottes, shorts, pants. Be sure they fit well—white pants that pull look unflattering. And wear underwear that matches your skin tone!
• Dresses over pants—during the transition into hot weather, wear stove pipe or skinnies under a dress (almost like a duster)
• Off-the-shoulder tops and dresses—wear a strapless bra!
• Sporty stripes—especially for pants, pair with dressier items such as a blouse and blazer and flats or heels for an unexpected, modern twist
• Pleats (and full skirts)—feminine fun for spring
• Aztec print—this has been popular for a while; don’t be afraid to mix with other prints
• Feminine boho—maxi dresses in breezy fabrics and florals, graphic accessories make it modern
What spring trends have you seen ladies (and gentlemen!) rocking already this spring? What are you excited to incorporate into your wardrobe?