I think the month of January is passing by in a haze because I turned to my husband earlier yesterday and said something about it being Jan. 30. He politely informed me that it was only Jan. 22 — so at least there’s still one week left to this month!
I’ve had a lot of fun things to look forward to this month, and I have even more coming up, so I thought I’d share them with you, along with a healthy eating and fitness update.
First, though, I am conducting a survey about the topics I write about here on the blog, I would love for you to fill it out! It should only take a few minutes, and if you submit your email, you will be entered into a drawing for a signed copy of my book (or if you already have it, I will send you a $10 gift card to Barnes ‘n’ Noble)! You can take the survey here.
- The Red Shoe Run — I was excited to get out there and complete a 5k for the first time since the fall, but sadly bad thunderstorms ruined our plans. I woke up this Saturday morning to rain, thunder and lightning, and just after a few other ladies on my team and I decided we’d probably skip the risk of driving in for the run, the officials cancelled it. I was definitely bummed, but I am looking forward to getting out there and getting more steps in — something I haven’t focused on in a while! My FitBit is charging as I type this, so look out! I’ll be back at it this week.
- Torque — My attendance at Torque has been off and on lately as I haven’t been feeling too well, but I’m still set on my goal to get to class 2 or 3 times a week to get the high intensity interval training I know I need — now I’ll just add more walking/running into the mix! And my husband and I are enjoying cooking at home more, and watching what we’re snacking on, and we’re both feeling really good about our eating habits. Feels good to be on a good track!
- Women’s March AL — I was honored to take part in this march on Saturday in my town of Birmingham, and excited to see the huge turnout at the marches held all over the world. Despite what some may believe, for me this march was about telling our elected officials what matters to us, and that we’ll be watching to make sure they protect the rights of ALL people. It wasn’t about being a “sore loser” or disrespecting anyone. Instead, in the words of Hillary Clinton who has fought hard for women’s rights for so long, I marched to support this belief:
4. Virtual Summit — Coming up on Jan. 31, I will be part of See Jane Write’s Virtual Summit, which continues this week with Chanda Temple, tonight at 6:30 p.m. CT, talking about building buzz for your blog, book or brand. She is phenomenal, so I highly suggest you sign up via this link and tune in! And I hope you’ll sign up for my session as well — I’ll be talking about how I turned my blog into a book!
5. Sherri’s Noonday Collection Launch Party — My friend is hosting a party this Wednesday, Jan. 25, at Cantina Tortilla Grill to introduce us to Noonday Collection jewelry and accessories. Y’all know I’m a huge fan of this organization that partners with artisans in economically depressed and war-torn regions of the world to produce goods using locally sourced, sustainable materials, while encouraging entrepreneurship and helping lift families out of poverty. So stop by between 6-8 p.m. — and as Sherri reminded us recently, it’s almost Valentine’s Day!
6. Book club speaking engagement — And lastly, I am speaking to a friend’s book club this next weekend about my book Fat Girl Power: How I Built Confidence Through Fashion, Fitness and Body Positivity. I’m excited to speak with this group of women, and if you have a book club, group of women or younger girls who would be interested in learning more about my book and why I think body positivity is so important, be sure to contact me!
Here’s to a productive end of January!